Conroy quits

1. 55,641 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1023

Stephen Conroy quits parliament

Stephen Conroy.
    Labor’s deputy Senate leader Stephen Conroy has announced his shock resignation from parliament after 20 years.
    Senator Conroy tabled his resignation speech to the Senate during the debate on the omnibus budget bills last night but did not read it out.
    It is believed none of his Labor colleagues apart from leader Bill Shorten knew about his sudden resignation in advance.
    Acting Labor leader Tanya Plibersek was caught off-guard by the resignation, flummoxed when it was put to her at a press conference in Sydney. Mr Shorten is in Canada.
    “Leading, did you say, or leaving? Leaving? Erm, erm, I’m sorry, I thought you said leading the Senate. I have only just heard of these reports so I’ll be having more discussions with Stephen later in the day,” Ms Plibersek told reporters.
    Senator Conroy issued a statement a short time ago confirming his resignation would take effect from September 30, meaning he will not be in parliament when it sits again on October 10.

Senator Conroy said he no longer wanted to travel to Canberra for half the year and be away from his wife, Paula Benson, and nine-year-old daughter, Isabella.
    “It is almost impossible to explain to those outside the federal parliament the sacrifice that your family make while you are an elected representative,” he said.

Follow
    Jared Owens

âś”@jaredowens
    This is how you resign in plain sight without anybody knowing.@australian http://at.theaustralian.com.au/link/c4f7c62d22a43cdd27d37f132f172184 …
    10:47 AM - 16 Sep 2016

Senator Conroy, who was communications minister for six years in the Rudd and Gillard governments, said the National Broadband Network “will remain my greatest contribution”.
    “There is nothing more fulfilling and no greater privilege than to be in government and conceive, create and implement a strategy to deliver the economic and social opportunities that technology brings and reach all Australians wherever they live and whatever their backgrounds.”
    Mr Shorten said Senator Conroy was a “tireless” contributor who “relished every challenge” throughout his 20-year parliamentary career.
    “In particular, his vision for a first-rate, fibre National Broadband Network for Australia speaks for his deeply-held passion for using technology to grow our economy and serve the interests of working people,” the Opposition Leader said in a statement from Montreal.
    “As a firm believer in accountability and the public interest, Stephen has been a formidable presence on both sides of the Estimates table. Public servants and parliamentarians alike quickly learned to respect Stephen’s forensic skills and forthright style.
    “And of course, no-one has taken parliamentary soccer more seriously, or enjoyed scoring goals against the press gallery more.”
    Mr Shorten described Senator Conroy as “one of my oldest friends” who would always fearlessly offer his counsel.
    “He is a fiercely loyal champion of the Labor Party, who has never lacked the courage to do things his own way,” he said.
    Anthony Albanese called Senator Conroy a “giant of modern Labor over the past 20 years” and defended his unorthodox means of resigning, saying he was “not surprised” by the decision.
    “Stephen Conroy has always treated the party with respect, he’s treated the parliament with respect by informing the parliament and, you know, if that’s got a nose out of joint from the media, well, you know,” the opposition transport spokesman said in Canberra.
    “You have to pay attention, you people. If you were paying attention, you would have known a little bit earlier clearly than you did.”

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.