LYC 0.63% $6.34 lynas rare earths limited

Consider buying, page-15

1. 19,584 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4970
    Agreed, it is challenging to keep a handle on it all.

If you have a look at original Ph2 plans you can see T4 was originally designed to separate Nd/Pr but the decision was made not to install the addition circuit at the time of commissioning. Speculating, but it was a critical period and loading up T4 meant spare capacity was no longer available if things went a little pear shaped, if you remember the 12 months post T4 were all about stabilising the process across 4 trains and gradually lifting recoveries, without any major stuff ups. Think they made the decision to avoid the additional complexity while they built confidence in full operation, internally & externally.

That done, and finding justification @ mkt, they've made the decision to action the additional circuit. From memory the Nd is in process for about one week whereas the Pr takes three.

The tanks on the "second floor" are not new but previously unused (can't remember the reason sorry, and I'm going to get a bit sketchy hereon) with the NdPr on the ground floor. If I understand correctly the NdPr is being switched out and both floors will be dedicated to La/Ce separation but I'll confirm that. What I am really interested in is the retro fitting to upgrade La & Ce:

Pages from 6A846258_LYC.jpg

Processing La & Ce to higher spec has meant longer residency times therefore reducing potential output from nameplate 22ktpa to 'maybe' 20ktpa, not recoveries as suggested.

Not sure any of us can fully appreciate the amount of effort that's been put into by far the largest volume products, from the technical aspects of refining & building the process to meet customer specs, gaining approval for those products, growing the mkt, then lifting recoveries. Important aspect in LAMP optimisation, particularly if base prices move back anywhere near long run averages.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.