ANZ 1.08% $28.51 anz group holdings limited

Whippet,If you read my October...

1. 434 Posts.
    Whippet,
    If you read my October article...
    http://ozbankers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=29

"Another positive aspect of the Global Financial Crisis for the Big 4 banks has been their ability to increase their market share to hold over 90% of new mortgages, up from 60% pre-crisis. This will remain high into the future due to reduced competition. The Commonwealth Bank’s takeover of BankWest and the Westpac and St George merger are two examples of a reduction in competition. This will significantly benefit margins and profitability into the future."

So, short-answer, not totally. I mean, it's part of the reason...

But, a bigger part of the reason, IMHO, is people went to the *safe* banks through the GFC, the ones they felt that they could trust. In Australia, this is really only 4 Banks....

They got 90% of new mortgages... so, no, not *just* from their mergers/acquisitions.

Also, through the GFC, 'riskier banks' like Bendigo and Adelaide Banks had their costs of funding increase dramatically... as such, these smaller banks weren't able to be priced at a level that was mucg below the Big4 through the GFC....

So, if Ben&Adl Bank is, say, 4.49% and CBA is 4.5%... who would you go with?

And, of course, yes the Big 4 are even bigger now because of the mergers you noted...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ANZ (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$28.51
Change
-0.310(1.08%)
Mkt cap ! $86.16B
Open High Low Value Volume
$28.72 $28.80 $28.50 $21.86M 763.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
11 3463 $28.51

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$28.53 5416 12
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.42am 26/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ANZ (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.