GMC 0.00% 0.6¢ gulf manganese corporation limited

Construction of Manganese Smelter Affected by Mine Moratorium, page-75

1. 12,135 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1770
    Yes agreed, animal husbandry isn't going to pay the bills of the nation.
    However selling cheap manganese ore to GMC isn't exactly going to pay any bills either. I remember GMC holders gloating that taxes wouldn't be paid for 10 years.

The poor villager digging up the manganese ore for GMC is only paid A$3/day, and thats nothing to get excited about either.
    If GMC paid the world market price for manganese ore instead wanting it for a pittance they maybe the locals would support mining, but when you rip-off locals and then don't expect much sympathy for GMC.

"At the mine site itself, the conditions endured by workers are of equal concern. Dozens of labourers work separating the manganese from waste rocks for nine hours a day. Maria, one of the workers, starts at 7am, has an hour break for lunch at midday, and finishes work at 5pm. She squats in the heat with no shade, gathering manganese by hand for processing and is paid Rp. 27,500 per day (A$3). She must provide her own lunch and her own transport which costs Rp.15,000 per day (A$1.70). Maria works 6 days a week and is not paid if she does not work. The only health and safety equipment the company supplies are disposable gloves and mask, which are replaced only twice a month."
    http://www.insideindonesia.org/prosperity-denied

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GMC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.