COPPER 0.00% $2.71 copper futures

I've noticed there is close to no discussion about Australian...

1. 1,359 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 244
    I've noticed there is close to no discussion about Australian copper production/exports while gold/silver/bitcoin gathers a lot of attention. I'm focussing on Copper and reaching out to the wider community as I believe greater input will build a stronger thesis with varying perspectives that I personally haven't seen on HT for this commodity. Just looking up 'copper' on HC, I could only find content from the last GFC other than from individual mining stocks. Could this be the eye of the storm? Why isn't copper a larger focus right now?

@mick z Pointed out on a copper-related forum the following charts on the 27/8/20 which has inspired my thread as I'm trying to understand copper's future outlook in Australia.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2424/2424188-02530b0cb1dc0e546ffb77cde5ce0c1b.jpg
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2424/2424189-fa407f0d98281aeeaae0b03901005e7f.jpg
    Could the higher demand and lower supply of copper be an epic moment for Australian copper miners?My guess is the warehouse stock level is dropping because Brazil has halted production due to CV19, which brings opportunity for new players to enter the market. Australia has a lot of junior minors with tiny market caps sitting on juicy tenements waiting to pop on opportunistic prices. If there are larger copper ASX-listed miners anyone would like to share please do - perhaps to get into the tradeoffs between large and small cap copper miners and the benefits each bring other than the obvious proven resources and dividends.

As an economy recovers post-crisis the copper price historically increases so the outlook of copper should be positive. This errs into a sensitive political question different from the last GFC: if or when an escalating trade war with China will impede Australian exports. Could we become dependent on new trade deals with other countries as they re-industrialise... would Australia industrialise (I personally don't think that would be economically possible due to imminent tax increases and Union's authority)? Or is this an invalid concern altogether?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add COPPER (LME) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.