ATH 0.00% 0.3¢ alterity therapeutics limited

corona- and arterivirus replication can be inhibited by increased Zn2+ levels, page-9

1. 142 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 60
    In the "Zn(2+) Inhibits Coronavirus..." abstract, increasing the Zn ++ concentration using the ionophore pyrithione interferes with RNA replication. Okay, The nidovirus' genome include some of the longest found and are subject to potential "errors" during replication leading to frequent mutations. There appear to be a few "compounds" that guide the replication and then "sort of troubleshoot the result to check for fidelity" [my interpretation]. Zn++ appears to be involved in one and contributes to another of the key replication "enzymes." So it appears the introduction of an excess of the ionophore zinc pyrithione throws a crucial stage of the replication process "out of whack" to the degree the virus does not successfully replicate.
    But the part that throws me off - introducing the Zn++ attenuator PBT2, I thought, would limit the Zn available and diminish the interruption of the replication. In fact the final sentence of the abstract above suggests that chelating the Zn++ potentially reverses the inhibitory effect of the Zn++.

Okay, I'm just a normal sort of person and making sense of this stuff is challenging. I may have grossly misinterpretted/misrepresented the processes mentioned. This replication process sounds like a juggler with twelve plates in the air - lots of room to screw up. Zn++ is an important component involved in some of the replicatory processes - so perhaps PBT2 might initiate a "trainwreck" elsewhere in the process? Anybody...???

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ATH (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.3¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $15.96M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.3¢ 0.3¢ 0.3¢ $4.579K 1.526M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 749591 0.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.4¢ 133062022 26
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.03pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ATH (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.