Australia has always been the land of plenty. Basically, since...

1. 1,271 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 309
    Australia has always been the land of plenty. Basically, since the second world war and with the exception of the oil embargo in 1977, we have never had a shortage of anything. There have been 4 generations who have never known anything but full availability of everything. They have never run out of anything and this has always been the case. The expectations of buying goods and necessities on a, as needed basis, means under stocked pantries, larders and a lot of empty fridges. Why stock up when you can get whatever you need when you need it ?
    I am of Italian decent and for me having a less than chock a block pantry is a horrible thought. I just followed my parents pattern because it was how I was brought up.
    Enter the Corona virus and things have changed. Suddenly, the system has been shaken and many people have just realised that their sacrosanct belief in in perpetual availability has been broken. It is in fact possible that supply can't meet demand and a shortage can occur. This has created a change in mind set and a sudden impetus to create a safety buffer. Stock up because it is indeed possible for the feacal matter to hit the fan. This is the time for maximum toilet paper ( and everything else) because now that everyone knows it is possible to run out of stuff; they don't want to.
    Reality is a bitch !!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.