I beg to disagree with the conclusions Jetstar CEO Gareth Evans....

1. Osi
    15,851 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 201
    I beg to disagree with the conclusions Jetstar CEO Gareth Evans. The passengers may have been temperature "screened" BUT somewhere in my head I recall that temperature screening will only pick up something like 30% (or less) of covid cases.

By comparison a reasonable serology (15 minute) test will pick up 70% and perhaps more if overlayed with the temperature check.

I have been whinging about COVID flights departing Melbourne for weeks now. Evans is absolutely wrong to suggest that the risk is miniscule. The correct risk grade is HIGH because it only takes one infected person to get through a screen to cause a major outbreak. I have read that the Melbourne outbreak started with one security guard breaching procedure (Virus RNA points to him being the single source).

So even if the passengers were screened twice with a thermometer the effort could be meaningless. Screening processes need to be greatly strengthened.

As reported on the ABC

Jetstar boss: screening breach 'very different from the Ruby Princess'

Jetstar boss, Gareth Evans, has conceded a breach of screening protocols at Sydney Airport was "unfortunate" but says the risk to the public is "miniscule".

Passengers on a flight from Melbourne to Sydney were allowed to disembark on Tuesday night before NSW Health officials arrived at the gate to screen them.

Most of the passengers were able to be screened before they left the terminal but 48 passengers left the airport and had to be followed up later.

Mr Evans says the risk of an outbreak linked to the flight is small.

"These passengers were screened when they got on the aircraft in Melbourne," he said.

"The screening has taken place, it's just that the double-check of screening didn't happen straight away.

"The risk is extremely low, extremely low, and it's a very, very different situation to the Ruby Princess.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.