Correct accounting term needed.

1. 1,005 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 85
    Not quite related to tax, but I am not sure where to put it.

In double entry bookkeeping is there a specific technical term for either the "posting of the other entry" or the ”other" entry.

For example, if one receives interest, one would normally debit the relevant bank account and credit the interest income account. I want to say something like: The bank account is debited and the blah blah blah is to the interest income account. So something like: The bank account is debited and the counter post is to the interest income account. It could also be a verb as in: The bank account is debited and one counter posts the interest income account. I don’t want to use the word credited as that is specific to this example. I am looking for a generalised term for making the opposite side entry.

Terms like counter post and contra account convey the correct meaning in my mind, but when I look these terms up they already have a specific meaning that is different to what I am looking for. The opposing entry or to make the opposing entry might work, but I suspect there is an actual accounting term for the noun and verb.
    Last edited by bellenuit: 23/07/19

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.