Interesting. I have seen a couple of wind farms and the concrete...

1. 178 Posts.
    Interesting. I have seen a couple of wind farms and the concrete bases are 7 to 8 metres diameter. Apparently there are 8 bundles of cables tensioned to 20 metres deep to support the turbines/concrete bases. I asked about economics/process of removal and was told the value of all scrap material was such that it would be very profitable to deconstruct and recycle materials (no idea of reference for this). As for the concrete bases I didn't ask, but rationally thinking they are smaller than most peoples garages or driveways, so seems a bit hypocritical unless you live in a tent etc... probably make good tank or water trough points for livestock as the ground around these points tends to be degraded and eroded by concentrated foot traffic, especially summer. Farmers get creative and seem to make the most of what might appear burdensome initially, although the point is that 'Hope is not a strategy'.
    Personally, I think they are a marvel of modern engineering to look at, but i am not an expert on whether they are/can be economically viable without subsidies, or even if/how much they are subsidised. Facts are difficult to seperate from opinions sometimes...it seems

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.