could be suspended

1. edu
    28 Posts.
    from Garow online

Somalia: Forget exploration, we must defend Puntland, says president
    31 Oct 31, 2007 - 4:03:19 PM

SPECIAL COVERAGE

by Yusuf Ali, managing editor

.....But comments the president of Puntland made towards the end of his speech expressed a fundamental shift in policy.

President Muse, who signed an exploration contract in 2005 with an Australian firm, suggested today that the exploration program might be suspended.

"I said many times before that we will bring this [company] or that, but I have nothing today," Muse said, with parliament erupting in applause and some laughter.

He said his administration's primary focus is to "defend Puntland and restore security."

"Those who were critics [of this administration] have a voice today, but today correct our mistakes and bring something positive," Gen. Muse said.

Critics say Muse's change in tone reflects reality on the ground, where his administration is seen as a failure for not stopping Somaliland's incursion into Las Anod.

The Puntland leader's calls for calm to the region's armed clans suggests that he is worried about the presence of clan fighters in or near Garowe and the long-term consequence they could have on his tenuous grip on power, insiders said.

Muse's foreign partner, Australian junior explorer Range Resources, has invested money in the Puntland government to pursue the exploration project and it is not clear where that company stands with regard to new developments in northern Somalia.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RRS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.