http://www.cuttingedge.org/News/n2042.cfmThe statue of “Peter”...

1. 7,453 Posts.
    http://www.cuttingedge.org/News/n2042.cfm

The statue of “Peter” is honored by Catholics all over the world. So much so, in fact, that the statue’s foot is being worn away by the “kisses of the faithful”. Yes, Catholics love Peter so much that they disregard the warning Peter gave the earnest Cornelius when the latter “fell down at his feet and worshipped him”. Peter said, “Stand up; I myself also am a man.” (Acts 10:25-26)

You’d think that if Roman Catholics were going to follow Peter, they’d be interested in what he actually said, but I find this is not the case. Let me give you an example. The Catechism of the Catholic Church, #552 says, “Because of the faith he confessed, Peter will remain the unshakeable rock of the Church.” However, Peter writes in his letters that Jesus is the “rock” which the builders “disallowed" -- not he! Listen carefully to Peter's own words:

“Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe, he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient ... ” (1 Peter 2:6-8)

Why did the Roman Catholic “builders” disallow Jesus as their “Rock” when their “first pope” says He is? They make Peter their “Rock” in Christ’s stead! Catholic historian and theologian, Peter DeRosa admits:

“It may jolt them to hear that the great Fathers of the church saw no connection between it [Matt.16:18] and the pope. Not one of them applies ‘Thou art Peter’ to anyone but Peter. One after another they analyse it: Cyprian, Origen, Cyril, Hilary, Jerome, Ambrose, Augustine. They are not exactly Protestants. Not one of them calls the Bishop of Rome a Rock or applies to him specifically the promise of the Keys. This is staggering to Catholics...The surprises do not stop there. For the Fathers, it is Peter’s faith — or the Lord in whom Peter has faith —which is called the Rock, not Peter” (Vicars of Christ, DeRosa, 24).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.