BOC 0.00% 46.0¢ bougainville copper limited

The court also said that BCl could be liable for costs, re the...

1. 3,493 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    The court also said that BCl could be liable for costs, re the environmental damage they caused.

I have some experience in PNG, so I know a little about the culture. The land is "Customary "Land", therefore no one can own it. It cannot be bought or sold, and cannot be used as security for debt. This is something. which Australians cannot seem to understand. The Australian Government has been peeing in the pockets of PNGians for years, to try to get them to introduce the Torrens System of land ownership, (as we have here) for their Tribal Lands. Then they can use their Tribal Lands as security, to raise capital for development. What they don't tell the PNG people, is that you can then lose those lands, if you default.

Many educated PNG people, as well as I, have always advised them against adopting the Torrens System. Therefore, any claims by BCL that they own any part of the mine, are totally without merit.

From an old issue of the PNGexposed Blog

Rio Tinto stripped of nothing on Bougainville – and the ABG knows it!

August 25, 20141 comment

MRA records show BCL’s mining lease over Panguna expired in 2011 and its exploration licences will expire next year. BCL’s own Annual Report and a previous statement from John Momis appear to confirm this state of affairs. So where does that leave all the media of the last few weeks…

So the plot thickens. Over the past fortnight, the media has gone into a fervour after Rio Tinto declared it will reconsider its majority stake in Bougainville Copper Limited (BCL).

This change of heart occurred, so we are told, after the Transitional Mining Act ‘stripped’ Rio’s subsidiary BCL of its mining leases and exploration licences. Some more shrill shareholders have called this expropriation, pure and simple.

Indicative of the recent headlines is the following remark which appeared in the Wall Street Journal:

‘The Anglo-Australian company [Rio Tinto] on Monday said it was reviewing its options for its controlling stake in Bougainville Copper Ltd, after the [Bougainville] government passed new laws that could strip the company of its lease on its Panguna mine’.

This seemingly bold step has been trumpeted by the Autonomous Bougainville Government as evidence that it is no stooge of Rio Tinto or the mining industry.

But it seems we may have all been fooled by what appears to be an elaborate hoax, which has been played out through the national and international media.

In their eagerness to trumpet the headlines ‘Rio Tinto stripped …’, no one has actually bothered to verify if BCL still actually holds a lease over Panguna!

Tsk tsk.

Now, according to PNG’s Mining Resources Authority BCL’s Special Mining Lease over Panguna expired in 2011.

Yu stap isi olgeta wantok....Marum.(wanpela puskat i stap)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BOC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
46.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $184.4M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 100 46.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
50.5¢ 1042 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.14pm 09/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BOC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.