So do you have some infection fatality rates for influenza...

1. 1,161 Posts.
    So do you have some infection fatality rates for influenza determined by the serology as per Ioannidis's paper and methodology?

The paper I linked looked at a whole lot of studies that calculated case fatality rates for the 2009 influenza pandemic based either (a) laboratory confirmation, (b) symptoms or (c) serology. The numbers I quoted was from the (c) serology grouping so appear to me to be the closest analogue and best comparison to Ioannidis's work.

What evidence does Kit Knightly, a reporter/contributor for the "Off Guardian", have for his statement "right in line with seasonal flu"? Is he just quoting what are essentially case fatality rates from confirmed infections much the same as are generally quoted for Covid-19 and which Ioannidis is attempting to refine to infection fatality rate? And how does the current US Covid-19 mortality figure of 227k (which is about 2/3 of their excess deaths) gel with the typical range for seasonal flu of, from memory, 20k to 60k? Wouldn't the US mortality numbers be even higher if Americans weren't trying to reduce their infection risk?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.