Sweden has a different approach to the virus crisis; Sweden is...

1. 23,156 Posts.
    Sweden has a different approach to the virus crisis;
    Sweden is adopting a 'flexible' coronavirus response and betting on 'social obedience'

''Rather than telling people what to do — or, worse, telling them off — the Government is asking Swedes to do the right thing, and giving them the liberty to prove they are responsible citizens. While the Government has taken some measures, such as limiting social gatherings to 50 people and closing high schools and universities, experts say it is betting on Sweden's "social obedience". But that's a lot of trust to put in your people at a time of global pandemic, and a gamble that could have catastrophic consequences.
    By his own account, Mr Magnusson, 30, is an example that the 'recommendations, not restrictions' approach can work. "I used to go to the gym three to four times a week, but I haven't been there since the pandemic ramped up," he said.''

Because Sweden's Government has taken a vastly different, more flexible approach than many Western countries, including its Scandinavian neighbours, he sometimes feels "torn".
    "If it turns out that Sweden gets through this pandemic quite alright, this will be a stroke of a genius," he said."It could [also] be that Sweden is just three weeks behind Italy and it'll hit us like a sledgehammer." If Mr Nordenberg has his doubts, his 74-year-old father Richard, a former navy pilot, puts unwavering trust in the Swedish Government's "very reasonable strategy". He said rather than isolating the whole society, the Government has put the onus on the elderly, asking them to stay home.

Magnus Barnell thinks the world will benefit from trying different approaches for any future events. "If it shows that our approach ultimately also can work, then it means that we can return back to normal society," he said.
    "Whereas if it shows it doesn't work, then you will see more states becoming very restrictive [in future events]."His wife, Nele, hopes that if at any point the Government realises the country is on the wrong trajectory, it changes course immediately.
    "But at this point I don't think they have to take any harsher measures. I do believe that if they see things are changing, I believe that they would change their strategy," she said. 'People will not tolerate a complete lockdown'

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.