With your experience looking after 1,000 free ranging chooks i'm...

1. 10,930 Posts.
    With your experience looking after 1,000 free ranging chooks i'm sure there's not much you don't know about looking after them.

I'm not far from Margaret River and have had some good advice from a lady there who has won awards for breeding chooks, that I try to follow but it's difficult not to spoil them. Her main feeding point was to feed whole grains without any processed content if possible. Since then I have been using Golden Beak, Layer Blend from Cunderdin in WA. Crushed grains quickly lose their nutrition.
    I also buy whole grains from Semini Custom Feeds at Treeton near to MR. They are so cheap if you go direct because they buy everything from the local farms but still cheap enough at the local stock feed supplier for 25kg bags of whole oats, barley, wheat etc which I blend for morning and lunch time treats.

Of course they some ivermectin every few months and I give them that using part of a soluble tablet dissolved in water and added to some Farmers Union Greek yogurt along with vitamin supplements. It should be without food but that way I give them a bit extra and they peck constantly for about a minute untl the bowl is clean. They all seem very healthy and have fluffy bums that usually means all is well.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.