I have no doubts that all my readers would be familiar with...

1. 10,759 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8

I have no doubts that all my readers would be familiar with Andrew Wakefield as the author of the 1998 Lancet study that was later retracted and that the mainstream media always talk about whenever the topic of vaccines and autism comes up.

I know that most of my readers are well enough informed about the vaccine issue to understand where I was coming from in expressing interest in listening to what he has to say, but I also expected that simply expressing that interest might trigger a negative emotional reaction in some readers.

Sure enough, one reader replied to say, "Andrew Wakefield??? Really?"

I could already guess precisely what this person was thinking but replied, "What do you mean by that question?"

He condescendingly responded, "Wakefield is proven to be a fraud. C’mon, get serious."

So I replied back to ask, "Peter, have you ever heard Andrew Wakefield tell his side of the story?"

He snarkily responded, "Yes, in a nutshell; vaccines are bad, mine are good."

So I returned, "In other words, 'No, I have not ever heard Andrew Wakefield tell his side of the story, I only know what the mainstream media tells me about it.'"

In my prior newsletter, I didn't bother to explain why I was interested to watch Wakefield's multi-part interview with host Patrick Gentempo. I didn't feel it necessary to provide my reasons. A willingness to listen to different perspectives and hear all sides of a story should hardly be considered intolerable behavior.

But for those subscribers who aren't already in the know, let me take a moment to debunk the myth that the mainstream media routinely tell about the 1998 study, which goes something like this:

"The belief that vaccines can cause autism originated with a study by Andrew Wakefield published in The Lancet in which he claimed to have found an association between the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine and autism, but which study was later retracted for being fraudulent, and Wakefield was stripped of his medical license."

There are elements of truth to that oft-told tale. Wakefield was the lead author of a 1998 Lancet study that was later retracted, and he was stripped of his license by the UK's General Medical Council (GMC).

Pretty much all of the rest of it is a divergence from the truth.

First of all, the claim that that study claimed to have found a causal association between the MMR vaccine and autism is totally false. In fact, Wakefield and his twelve coauthors explicitly stated that they did not show an association.

Second, the claim that the study originated parental fears about vaccines causing autism is totally false. The only "link" they reported was the temporalrelationship between vaccination and developmental regression observed by the parents.

Parental concerns about this predate the Lancet study. For example, the Institute of Medicine acknowledged the widespread concern among parents that vaccination had caused their children's autism in a report published in 1991. These concerns dated back at least to the early 1980s.

Third, the 1998 study was a case series intended to investigate twelve children who experienced regressive developmental disorder and who'd had a gastrointestinal disorder. At the time, Wakefield was pioneering research into this area, but it has since been well established that there is an association between gut disorders and autism.

What got Wakefield into so much trouble was not that they claimed to have found a link but that they merely hypothesized that there could be an association and suggested that further research be done to investigate. Proposing areas for further research is one of the main purposes of case studies.

Fourth, the reason given by The Lancet was not that the study was fraudulent, but that the GMC had found lead author Wakefield and senior author John Walker-Smith guilty of "professional misconduct" for having falsely stating that the twelve children in the case series were "consecutively referred" and that their research was "approved" by the local ethics committee.

Fifth, the media never inform the public when discussing this episode that Walker-Smith, who was the gastroenterologist who examined the children, appealed the GMC's decision and won. He had his medical license reinstated in 2012 on the grounds that the GMC's charges against him were "untenable" and unsupported by the evidence.

The High Court of Justice found that the children had indeed been referred successively, and ethics approval was not required for the procedures the children underwent under Walker-Smith's care because they were clinically indicated for diagnostic purposes.

The reason Wakefield did not join Walker-Smith in appealing was because his insurance provider would not cover the legal costs.

So, in short, yeah, I think that it is worthwhile to search for the truth by listening to all sides of a story because typical mainstream narratives are not only lacking in objectivity but demonstrably false in fundamental aspects.

We could also get into the whole "vaccines do not cause autism" claim, but it suffices for our purposes here to observe that the US government has conceded in a legal case brought under the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program that, in children with a genetic susceptibility, vaccines can cause brain damage manifesting as symptoms of autism.

To learn more, read the section "Lying about the 1998 Lancet Study" in my fully referenced article "How the Media Lie about Why Parents Don't Vaccinate": https://www.jeremyrhammond.com/2019/10/17/how-the-media-lie-about-why-parents-dont-vaccinate/

Last edited by Menta: 03/03/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.