Thalweg, You say: "The problem is without a fuller breakdown of...

1. 2,167 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 197
    Thalweg,

You say: "The problem is without a fuller breakdown of the ACTUAL reason for the hospitalisation, until then it's more junk science numbers. "

That is right Thalwig. Both the provaxers and anti-vaxers are guilty of presenting statistics in a missleading way to support their argument.

The table at the start of this thread shows hospitalisations of fully vaccinated and unvaccinated which on the face of it unambiguously supports the case that everyone should get vaccinated.

However, what the table does not shows is the breakdown by age or co-mobility or risks. THIS IS THE HEART OF THE DEBATE.

I have posted before the results of an Israel study on sever disease:

Copy from my previous post:

The data out of Israel as at 15 August 2021 still indicates that the vaccines are efficient at preventing severe Covid-19 ie cases requiring hospitalisation, ranging in efficiency from 81.1% to 100%. As far as I am concerned, you could also use the same data to question whether it was worth it to vaccinate those under 30, with severe cases per 100,000 in the unvaccinated population been less than 2 as at 15 August.

Source: Israeli data: How can efficacy vs. severe disease be strong when 60% of hospitalized are vaccinated? (covid-datascience.com)
    Israel Study finds "there is very strong evidence that the vaccines have high efficacy protecting against severe disease, even for Delta"

"nearly 60% of all patients currently hospitalized for COVID-19 (as of August 15, 2021) are vaccinated. Out of 515 patients currently hospitalized with severe cases in Israel, 301 (58.4%) of these cases were fully vaccinated, meaning two doses of the Pfizer vaccine."

"We see quite high efficacy in all age groups, with the 80-89 group having the lowest efficacy (81.1%) and all others between 88.7% and 100%."

While it is clear that everygroup gets a benefit the vaccine, in absolute terms, the size of the benefit each group receives varies with age (in the above table) and also health status.

You need to look at the individual risks. From the above table an unvaccinated 90+ individual has a 165 (82.4 x 20) greater risk from Covid-19 compared to a 12 -15 year old.

Prior post of mine on the Delta strain have shown that the highest risk groups were Unvaccinated over 50s; The next higher risk group was the fully vaccinated over 50s. From the table above, an unvaccinated under 30 has a lower risk than a fully vaccinated over 50.

I am not arguing for or against vaccination. Just want to point out, although correct, misleading data or how it is been presented.

Regards

SP

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.