crane index, page-683

1. 37,316 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 406
    In relation to Sydney where I live, I don’t think the great times are past, I think they are morphing.

On a recent holiday which took in Oslo, Copenhagen, Berlin, Paris and Milan it dawned on me that dense apartment style living dominated within 5-10km of the city nucleus (less in Oslo, which is a smaller city) and that public space and lifestyle were vibrant. Even in the ‘burbs beyond there seemed a good intermix of detached and medium density living.

Under Sydney’s 3 cities 30 minute travel vision, vibrant invigorated liveable cities will spring up in Sydney, Parramatta and the Aerotropolis surrounding the new Western Sydney Airport and there will be vertical living along transport corridors associated with 4 new metro rail lines totalling 120-150 km. There will be quality open space for outdoor, community, cultural, sporting and leisure.

By 2056 it is planned that 75% of households will be living vertically ... with land costs per dwelling greatly diminished, vertical living will be affordable, well serviced and exciting ... the outer’burbs increasingly less so ... for people under 40, the ‘burbs will have come unbearably boring.

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.