BHP 2.10% $43.32 bhp group limited

re: crashy writes bhp calls "Crash/stelep, there is only one...

1. 3,086 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    re: crashy writes bhp calls "Crash/stelep, there is only one reason instalment warrants deliver higher returns and that is because of the higher leverage and higher risk."

Im not sure I agree with all of that red. Since the buyer of an instalment warrant pays a fraction of the purchase price, and also receives the dividends, I would argue that they are a 'limited-risk' instrument, in that the most you can lose is the original outlay. Yes leverage is a factor in the return, but 'risk' is certainly lower, not higher. Instalment buyers pay a premium, but a fairly low one by eto time premium standards. By purchasing the 'cheap' long premium of the instalment, and selling 'expensive' short term eto premiums regularly, the result is a net discount.

Think of it like this.....a wrecker goes to a damaged car auction. He buys a banged up magna for $600. This is our instalment. He then strips the car of parts, and sells them over time. This is our monthly call writes. Of course its possible that he buys a lemon now and again, but over the long term he will make a good profit. The same priciples apply in the options market.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BHP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$43.32
Change
0.890(2.10%)
Mkt cap ! $219.6B
Open High Low Value Volume
$42.62 $43.35 $42.58 $335.8M 7.789M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 13 $43.31

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$43.33 1125 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 25/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BHP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.