credible eulogy for reagan

1. 3,191 Posts.
    Was Reagan a double agent?

Gorbachev pays respect to Reagan

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has paid tribute to former US President Ronald Reagan, who died today aged 93.

"I feel deep regret," said the last Soviet leader, who met Mr Reagan on the sidelines of a meeting in Geneva in 1985 before the two held a historic summit in Reykjavik the following year as Mr Reagan launched a series of meetings that led to an easing of tensions, and eventually to the Soviet Union's collapse.

"For me, Ronald Reagan is a great president," Mr Gorbachev told Moscow Echo radio.

He said that Mr Reagan appeared at the right place at the right time because other leaders in his place might have only heightened the tensions between Moscow and Washington at a time of intense military stand-off, with the threat of nuclear war looming.

"I do not know how other officials would have acted in his place at that moment, because the situation was very tense," Mr Gorbachev said.

"Reagan, who was considered to be far-right, made steps toward us, and herein lies his credit."

--AFP

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.