GNS 0.00% 16.0¢ gunns limited

Woodie, it was impossible for me to follow your last post in...

1. 328 Posts.
    Woodie, it was impossible for me to follow your last post in many places but I understood enough to find you decrying pulp with the statement:
    "../value adding and not pulping is the way to go".

Question: which is in the greater value-added wood based supply chain - pulp or saw logs?

Just to help you along the way: the former (pulp) is just one step in a lengthy value chain that requires great technical expertise by a host of people, including highly skilled process workers, chemical/mechanical/electrical/instrumentation engineers, chemists etc. Commodity pulp is then bought by paper makers - an equally technical and highly value-adding step. Then printers buy that paper and put ink on it, turning it into books and other printed material.

Next to that, a saw log is pretty average. It takes much less skill and expertise to saw and manufacture into an end product. Even when crafted into a beautiful piece of furniture, it has less value added than a page of printed paper. A sheet of A4 copy paper in a reem of 500 sheets has more added value than does the same weight of wood that it took to make it, sitting in a rack of sawn kiln-dried timber.

You are just falling into the trap set by the long term ludicrous green mantra that the step before the pulp (the evil wood-chip) is bad. Trust me: it ain't and never was!

Anyway, it isn't a case of one being better than the other: as a society, we need both.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GNS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.