critters n creatures

1. 37,999 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 429

Since a young lad, I have always felt uncomfortable killing critters for their sake of being critters ... I'm talking mainly insects here. As a youngster I remember avoiding stepping on ants on a footpath, catching and releasing tadpoles, frogs and yabbies etc.

Obviously I've dispatched a few annoying flies amd mosquitos in my time but by and large I try to ignore them ... I tend to catch and relocate outside the occasional house spider or more occasional mouse ... I'll stop fishing if I have enough for a good feed ... I'm not a fan of catch and release because some fish swallow the hook deep and fatal injury can be hard to avoid.

I even once rounded up a red belly black snake in our back yard in a piece of flexible subsoil drainage pipe that I then joined into a circle and sealed with tape and drove 2km to the bush and walked 300m in before carefully letting it go by undoing the pipe.

Just now I rescued a big cicada from the jaws of death (our ginger tabby Charlie) and let it go safely in our front yard.

Its a strong feeling and I've had it for pretty much as long as I can remember.

For sure most people I know are respectful of creatures and critters ... I know my wife and daughter (and lot of women) do not hesitate about killing spiders etc in the house (they use it as a threat to make me catch and release lol).

I've never really thought much about this nor discussed it with anyone ... am I a bit out there with these views/beliefs?

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.