MPO 0.00% 14.0¢ molopo energy limited

csg

1. 782 Posts.
    Sure Mr. Pickard, let’s put the blame on CSG. Seems to be the norm these days when something has gone wrong environmentally – “Oh, there’s a CSG project nearby let’s put the blame on them”. These people are nothing but parasites feeding from others who know nothing. Correct me if I’m wrong but the photos Mr. Pickard took are of dead trees, grass and pools of water. Where’s the proof the dam is leaking? Do they ever consider factors other than CSG?

Resident claims CSG leak poisoning forest
    By Nastasia Campanella
    January 02, 2012

The Greens have demanded an explanation from the New South Wales Government about claims that trees are dying near a coal seam gas (CSG) project in the state's north.

Narrabri resident Tony Pickard contacted the ABC, saying coal seam water has leaked from a dam at a project run by mining company Santos.

Santos has denied there is a leak but Mr Pickard says he believes a leak is killing trees in the Pilliga State Forest.

"I've even got photos which I took myself to prove it's happened," he said.

"They show dead trees and grass and pools of black water."

Mr Pickard says he first flagged problems at the Santos project early last year 2011.

"Twelve months ago I let the Department of Primary Industries know there were holes in the dam's liner but I was ignored," he said.

"Now I think either the dam has let go or some of the pipe work associated with it has let go and it's dumped its contents into the forest."

Mr Pickard has the support of Greens MP Jeremy Buckingham, who wants the Environment Protection Authority to look into the matter.

"The EPA should immediately get out to the forest to investigate what could be a major pollution incident," Mr Buckingham said.

"This type of incident is what we have always expected to occur again and again with coal seam gas because there's no safe management strategy."

'No leak'

But Santos spokesman Sam Crafter denies there has been a leak.

"What we have here is a gathering from the recent rain and that water hasn't dissipated yet," he said.

"Narrabri has had a lot of rain lately but there's not been any leaks at any of our sites."

Mr Crafter says eucalyptus leaves are making the water turn black.

"Eucalypts react with the water," he said.

"It creates a murky colour."

The Department of Primary Industries has issued a statement, saying it has already inspected the site.

The statement says the water is natural water pooling and the department has ordered Santos to fix the drainage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-02/greens-claim-csg-mine-poisoning-trees/3755362

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MPO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.