EDE 0.00% 0.2¢ eden innovations ltd

I did a little more research. That project does not bode well...

1. 948 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    I did a little more research. That project does not bode well for the future of concrete roads in Alberta (“We don’t plan to go forward with it anywhere else”), even though they predict a cost savings over 30 years.

From the Edmonton Journal in 2015 (scroll down to the 'Thinking Concretely' section):

‘Not again’ is apparently the concrete answer.

A 14-km section of the southwest Anthony Henday Drive between Calgary Tr. and Lessard Rd. was covered with Portland Cement Concrete Pavement panels, about 12,000 of them. It was the first such extensive use of concrete paving in Alberta, and quite likely the last.

“We don’t plan to go forward with it anywhere else,” said Alberta Transportation project manager Bill van der Meer. “My best description of that is, if you don’t try it, how will you ever know? We were being a bit innovative.”

Inspired by interstate highways in Wyoming and Montana, the province opened bids on that section of road to concrete and asphalt paving companies, in part to foster a competition between the industries.

However, cold temperatures shorten the concrete construction season and freezing temperatures have the potential to destroy an entire section of paving.

“I think the (concrete) industry kind of realized that it would be hard to be competitive (with asphalt). If we were in New Mexico, maybe not a problem. In Alberta it’s a little more problematic to build concrete roads in competition with asphalt.”

In 2012, just six years after installation, some cracked and broken panels were repaired or replaced, while some intact panels were levelled by injections of high density polyurethane foam underneath them. The repairs cost $6 million and regularly disrupted traffic over a calendar year.

Van der Meer called the repairs a “maintenance cycle” that won’t have to be repeated for 20 years.

“It was wait long enough to see where the problem areas were, repair them one time and be gone.”

He characterizes the concrete experiment a success, based on a predicted cost saving on maintenance over a 30-year time frame.

“I’d say it’s proving out to ultimately save us money.”

Further reading from globalnews.ca in 2012.

This all goes back to the stuff about Alaska DOT, when I pointed out that concrete roads aren't common in cold climates. Even though Alberta is out, Southern Ontario isn't as cold, so maybe someday something could happen there.
    Last edited by Mad Mel: 17/11/17

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add EDE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.2¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $6.162M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
74 149816009 0.1¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.2¢ 22130521 26
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.12pm 18/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
EDE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.