CSL 0.40% $300.58 csl limited

CSL has more downside...and chat, page-281

1. 4,904 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 894
    Excellent post in highlighting the effect of treatment of R&D on P&L in a single year however I would suggest that by focussing on past/current year PE the entire thread serves only to minimise the cumulative value of CSL's R&D spend.

To put the value of this annual R&D spend in perspective (if I am not mistaken) it is more than 5 times the cumulative annual R&D spend of MSB and PNV combined. The benefits of this (fully expensed) investment will only be seen many years after the initial spend has been made.

However the historical success of CSL gives some comfort in the likelihood of a profitable outcome from this investment. This historical R&D (and success in acquisitions) has been a secret to CSL's long term success.

So, imho it is entirely appropriate that CSL should have a higher PE than most companies due to the value of that nascent pipeline. Consequently I regard it as a highly promising Omni-biotech that happens to cover its own R&D and pay an annual dividend thank you very much.

Those who are valuing CSL purely on past and current year PE are somewhat (massively) missing the point imho.
    Last edited by optimistus: 25/05/20

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CSL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$300.58
Change
-1.210(0.40%)
Mkt cap ! $145.5B
Open High Low Value Volume
$300.74 $300.99 $298.81 $240.1M 820.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1000 $300.56

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$300.59 836 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/10/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CSL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.