CTP 5.45% 5.2¢ central petroleum limited

CTP AGM notes, page-31

1. 10,875 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3607
    Psi,

Just off on a tangent here as only applicability to CTP is the sale of $1/GJ gas to the LNG operators. I do hold STO and know from reading your posts that you do not.

So when you wrote,
    "And it doesn't really matter if the global LNG market is oversupplied - the LNG operators still need to fill those cargoes and pay off that debt. They will be competing for the cheapest gas they can source within the pipeline system, and CTP's gas will be right in the mix for that."

I'm interested in that statement.

In a report prepared for AEMO by a 3rd party (since we are making that distinction) the analysis concluded

"Conversely, low spot LNG prices below oil-linked contract prices, reflecting weak demand and over-supply, provide opportunities and incentives for LNG buyers to cut back contract supply to their take-or-pay levels, as in the Low Scenario, and/or buy spot cargoes. This will reduce demand at Gladstone and tend to push down domestic gas prices. Whether the domestic price falls below the marginal netback value of the additional exports, encouraging supply of spot cargoes above take-or-pay, will depend on domestic demand-supply conditions.

Consequently it is quite likely that conditions under which exports increase will be associated with parallel increases in Asian spot prices, netback values and domestic prices. Decreases in exports will be associated with the opposite. The association between domestic prices and exports is therefore considered to be an indirect one. The methodology assumes that exports and the associated gas and electricity usage are not impacted by domestic price considerations."

Right now we are in a period of low spot LNG pricing (well below the oil linked contract but as Santos says GLNG is FCF +ve at US$40Brent and AUD/USD at $0.80). Whether this tests the contracted take-or-pay (in US Williams companies had Chesapeake over a barrel on min vol commitments on a take-or-pay and renegotiated giving CHK some relief on volume and rate for term/acreage commitments), keeping in mind for STO that the offtake agmt is also with a project partner and is yet to be seen how they will play.

So if low spot LNG will influence domestic pricing to the downside then I'm all for STO to leave its CSG not developed in the ground and substitute cheap CTP gas. Transport on NEGI at $1.20 (SA option) plus the rest to transport it to GLNG pipeline plus paying CTP ($3/GJ) plus liquefaction cost plus transport to Asia and that a price already above spot landed pricing (at present).

Its not such a simple business.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CTP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
5.2¢
Change
-0.003(5.45%)
Mkt cap ! $38.48M
Open High Low Value Volume
5.2¢ 5.2¢ 5.2¢ $35.73K 687.1K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 550000 5.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
5.2¢ 99854 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CTP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.