ALD 2.86% $31.30 ampol limited

CTX is collapsing fast, page-14

1. 16,933 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8394
    "It may not be original, but it is wrong. Firstly, for every buyer, there has to be a seller. Buyers = sellers. Always."

@jantimot,

Yes, Buyers Always Equal Sellers.
    But not at the exact same price points.

Which is what makes stocks go up or down, and not simply stand still.

This self-evident observation, stunningly overlooked by you, draws its proof from the most basic axiomatic tenet in the field of economics which says that if demand for an economic good rises relative to its supply, the price of that economic good rises (and vice versa: if supply levels rise relative demand, then price falls).

For it this wasn't the case, then stock prices would remain constant.

Why do you think that basic principle would be any different for an economic concept such as an investment in a listed security, which is what you are effectively saying?

For if buyers always equaled sellers, what would make stock prices move up or down?

"Even if you are talking about pent up buying and selling volume, that's not the case either..."

As for your screenshot of the buy and sell depth taken, presumably from some online broker, if you think that represents anything near the buying and selling intentions of all market participants, then you are, I'm afraid, somewhat more naive about the true workings of capital market operations than I had initially thought.

Do you really believe that anywhere near all the pent-up supply and demand for a given stock is reflected in the way orders stack up on your computer screen?
    Last edited by madamswer: 09/03/16

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ALD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$31.30
Change
0.870(2.86%)
Mkt cap ! $7.458B
Open High Low Value Volume
$30.50 $31.38 $30.41 $63.43M 2.034M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 125674 $31.30

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$31.31 282 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 04/10/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ALD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.