ALD 1.72% $33.67 ampol limited

All the way to the original post ... I think this is a terrible...

1. 3,427 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 925
    All the way to the original post ... I think this is a terrible idea sold to Caltex by investment bankers who will make massive commissions in setting it up. The idea was floated about 20 years ago by UBS Warburg (maybe by other investment bankers previously).... but sense prevailed. Seems like other investment bankers are regurgitating the same bad ideas to sell to the same CFO.

Capital gains tax, stamp duty and investment banker fees make this a very expensive proposition. If Caltex holds on to half the REIT - it will effectively paying DOUBLE fees on what the net sale is (and cash received).

What’s more the new accounting standards will cause the capitalised leases to be on the balance sheet (analysis above doesn’t do this). They’ll then be in a position like Woolies are expected to be in (see latest Macquarie research) with long term (ie high liability) capitalised leases on the balance sheet. The business will be highly geared, high risk and will have extra steps/negotiations to get developments up.

If CTX wants to free up cash, drive earnings via leverage and buy back shares ... they should simply do it the cheaper way ie. raising more long term debt. None of the ongoing heartache with future development or site rationalisation, no capital gains liabilities, no stamp duty liabilities and much reduced investment banker fees.

I haven’t owned CTX for nearly 20 years now ... and ideas like this certainly won’t get me buying again!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ALD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$33.67
Change
0.570(1.72%)
Mkt cap ! $8.023B
Open High Low Value Volume
$33.62 $34.01 $33.60 $25.32M 751.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 1868 $33.65

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$33.68 603 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ALD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.