OZL 0.00% $26.44 oz minerals limited

Interestingly, the Fin Review today had an article where...

1. 1,694 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    Interestingly, the Fin Review today had an article where Macquarie were suggesting commodity prices could fall in 2009 'another 50%'. They were suggesting prices of (US) Cu: $1-1.20/lb; Fe: $30/t and oil: $30/b and had SP targets (assuming such prices) of BHP $15 and RIO $30.

Assuming for a moment that these analysts aren't smoking crack (perhaps a silly assumption!) that should mean the AuD falls further - perhaps to 45-50c US. Copper at $1.20 US would only be marginally profitable for OZL unless (as Ken Galbraith argues) the costs of mining are mainly denominated in aussie dollars. I'm not so sure - obviously wages are but I don't even know how much of the PH and Golden grove costs they make up. And I imagine many other costs (equipment, other imputs etc) are 'hedged' in $US.

Cu at US$1.20 would certainly test OZL. With 300m net cash they could ride it out for 12-18 months (unlike many other non diversified producers) but I would be worried if they couldn't loss minimise at Century. I would like to see some up to date (aussie dollar, especially) figures on how far they can reduce costs - assuming Zn will stay around US$0.50 then costs of US0.60 are too high. Maybe management will put out a briefing to this effect - it would certainly calm investors!

Any thoughts? All opinions/criticisms welcome. I bought into OZL at $1 and again at 0.9 but fear it could go under $0.8 - perhaps as low as 0.55? - especially if Cu really was to fall another 50%. I still feel long term Cu at US$2 and Zn at US$0.8 will put OZL as a $2 company by 2011.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OZL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.