CCF 4.35% 12.0¢ carbon conscious limited

current share price 26cents; 2014 eps 26cents, page-38

1. 202 Posts.
    Myrtle Rust does not presently exist in WA and no CCF plantations in WA have been affected.

Even if Myrtle Rust did come to WA, it would find the dry climatic conditions where CCF plants its trees highly unsuitable. It could be easily treated with fungicide.

Because CCF's plantations are dispersed over a very wide area of WA, the chances of the disease spreading to other CCF plantations are minimised.

My point about CCF not harvesting its trees is that many researchers believe that harvesting is one of the means by which the disease is spread. The act of harvesting appears to contribute to the acceleration of the dispersement of the fungus spores. As CCF does not harvest its trees, the likelihood of the fungus spreading (if it ever did come to WA) would be further minimised.

I think TrendTracker got it absolutely right when he made the following points;

1. Its not in WA or NZ
    2. It doesn't like the heat ie wheatbelt
    3. CCF have isolated plantation areas
    4. It doesn't affect all eucalyptus species
    5. It affects younger trees and
    6. Most importantly CCF believes it to be of minimal threat

The bottom line is Myrtle Rust is a fungus and can effectively be treated with fungicide if it becomes a problem in WA. CCF actively manages its plantations to ensure that young trees grow into healthy, mature trees free from disease.

In the scheme of things this discussion about Myrtle Rust is "much ado about nothing". Just because some people think it is a problem, doesn't make it one for CCF.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CCF (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.