FFX 0.00% 20.0¢ firefinch limited

@foocaMy understanding of the purchase of the tax credits is...

1. 925 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 96
    @fooca

My understanding of the purchase of the tax credits is that essentially for ever dollar we spend buying them now, we later receive the same dollar back in reduced taxation. In effect a zero sum. No doubt some of the accountants around here can elaborate, I'm not really into that kind of thing.

I'd also like to add that since certain folks have questioned why the mine is being sold for such a low price there is certainly a good reason for it in that it no longer suits the Barrick/Anglo portfolio (which has been publicly stated by both parties).

Bit of background to that if you have a look back into the 2011 Randgold Annual report, they had already investigated the closure of the plant ten years ago.

"In 1996, we discovered the Morila deposit, which we financed and developed and was our major gold producing asset through 2009. Since production began in October 2000, Morila has produced more than 6 million ounces of gold at a total average cash cost of $239 per ounce.

Morila’s total production for 2011 was 248,635 ounces at a cash cost of $782 per ounce. Consistent with the mine plan, Morila ceased pit mining in April 2009 and is currently processing lower grade stockpiles.

During 2010 a study of the reprocessing of the Morila Tailings Storage Facility (TSF) was completed and in 2011 a full feasibility study on the viability of treating the TSF material, marginal ore and mineralized waste stockpiles was completed and approved by our board in January 2012.

We now expect the operation to continue up to 2021.
    "

My bolding, page 24, https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1175580/000119312512144009/d321465d20f.htm

It strikes me that if Morila made the formal decision to close the mine nearly nine years ago, there would be little point in further exploration or infill drilling since
    1. The capital investment would be pointless
    2. Morila did not have the rights to explore the adjacent tenements

I also think that given the accuracy of the feasibility study in predicting a 2021 completion of reprocessing, its pretty safe to rely on the available drilling data for remaining gold ounces.

Plenty of exploration upside both on existing Morila tenements and our own tenements surrounding the mine as well.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FFX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.