SMN 2.47% 41.5¢ structural monitoring systems plc

CVM and carbon fiber

1. 1,788 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 76
    Just have a few musings on the OEM's advances towards carbon fiber if anyone else has any thoughts or further info from discussions with the company.

Thinking the current tech / sensor type will be relevant for a long time yet but I am wondering what will be involved in implementing CVM throughout CF airframe structures. Answers within recent calls / AGM were a bit inconclusive on where we stand here.

I expect it will be another slog to see CVM fully implemented from the drawing board for new aircraft to prove having CVM capillaries throughout doesn't compromise the structures strength and durability. Parts separate to the main airframe like replacement doors (per Andy C) and other bolt on items might be able to be developed and rolled out as weight reduction upgrades to ongoing models e.g. 737 vNext.

However given the company is trying to get full OEM buy in to then drive adoption this could happen organically once metal aircraft are in regular use of CVM.

It seems the tech would play a quite different role in the case of CF given the unique issues it poses compared to metal aircraft with internal delamination, invisible damage. So the scope could be quite a bit larger where the entire aircraft "tube" could have CVM implemented throughout.

Is this perhaps why TC has adjusted his holding? Not because CVM isn't eventually going to be part of airframe structures, just the additional time this will take given the shift taking place. CFO has made murmurs regarding using their material with a major aerospace OEM (my guess is Boeing) for large CF wing part moulds. I expect that is why he is a director there being well connected in aerospace.

Is CF adoption going to be more rapid than expected in aerospace given the economical benefit it has, smaller lighter aircraft traveling further on less fuel. I sure hope CVM is being pushed here at every opportunity.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SMN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
41.5¢
Change
0.010(2.47%)
Mkt cap ! $54.72M
Open High Low Value Volume
40.5¢ 41.5¢ 40.0¢ $8.835K 21.90K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1306 40.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
41.0¢ 91 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.19pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SMN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.