I should preface this by saying I am certain Anthropogenic...

1. 463 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 91
    I should preface this by saying I am certain Anthropogenic Global Warming exists and is undoubtedly a contributing factor to the pace of the current natural warming cycle the world is in.

However, there is a partisan alarmism here that must be muted if the AGW debate is to be taken seriously. Three weeks ago, those who are passionate about the AGW situation were more than happy to attribute the unseasonably warm weather and the unusual spate of October bushfire activity in NSW to AGW. Yet the same persons are strangely silent on the fact that Victoria is currently experiencing its coldest November in about half a century. You can't have it both ways, using the events that support your argument & completely ignoring those that would seem to go against it.

It is the same in politics. Despite your natural inclinations, it is extremely unlikely that the side you favour is always right, so occasionally temper your natural instinct to back the dog you like & use your own capacity for independent thought.

There have been at least a dozen tropical storms deadlier than the tragic storm that hit the Philippines this week. In 1970 in Bhola, Bangladesh, over 300,000 people were killed, so although the storm was awful, it is hyperbole all this talk that it was the worst storm the world has ever seen.

Now 1970 was 43 years ago, and temperatures declined from 1945 to 1970, so I don't think the 1970 storm is attributable to AGW. Certainly no-one was making that attribution at the time.

If you are passionate about environmentalism, base your argument in the statistical warming since the last cooling cycle stopped in 1970. But I would implore any person who considers themselves a thinking person, please don't use events that fall within the ordinary range of statistically likely events to make your case, for the only person you are fooling is yourself - Eternalgrowth

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.