DNK 0.00% 8.8¢ danakali limited

Danakali Article, page-29

1. 3,518 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1394
    BHP should stop faffing around with the silly mine in Canada and take a look at a real project in Eritrea if they want to diversify their asset base in a serious way. Those numbers they have to spend are ridiculous. Shows just how great the DNK world class asset is.

BHP to decide fate of Jansen potash mine in early 2021
    Cecilia Jamasmie | October 17, 2019 | 4:11 am Intelligence Markets Top Companies Australia Canada Potash
    BHP to decide fate of Jansen potash mine in early 2021
    The company has already spent billions of dollars at Jansen, which is located 140km east of Saskatoon in Saskatchewan. (Image courtesy of BHP.)

BHP (ASX, NYSE: BHP), the world’s largest miner, will decide whether to go ahead with its long-delayed $17 billion Jansen potash project in Canada by February 2021, when it reaches 10 years since completing the feasibility study for the operation.

The company has been mulling a final decision on the asset for at least six years, during which it has spent almost $3 billion laying the ground for crop nutrient-producing project.

BHP has long been eager to enter the potash market to diversify its asset base, currently concentrated around iron ore and copper

Two shafts have already been sunk, but BHP will have to invest another $5.3–$5.7 billion to finish phase one construction of the mine, which the company said would take fewer than 5 years to complete. BHP has in the past said it would consider selling a stake in the project to share capital and risk.

Jansen, located in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, is expected to give the company exposure to rising global food demand and represents one of its few big growth prospects.

“Work on engineering to support project planning and on finalizing the port solution is required and the board has approved $144 million for these activities,” BHP said on Thursday.

“An additional $201 million of funding was approved to further de-risk the project, focusing on the mine’s scope of work,” it added.

Chief executive Andrew Mackenzie has repeatedly said that a phased expansion of Jansen — which is projected to produce 8 million tonnes of potash a year, or nearly 15% of the world’s total — is expected to generate competitive returns in phase one, with significant potential upside in subsequent stages.
    Great expectations

BHP says it can produce potash for around $100 a tonne at the mine. In September, potassium chloride (muriate of potash) spot price was at $266.5 a tonne. That compares to around $400 a tonne when Jansen was first conceived and record highs more than a decade ago of $870 per tonne.

Some investors have expressed doubts around Jansen, questioning the logic of adding more supply to an already saturated fertilizer market

The miner expects prices to be much higher by the time supply from Jansen enters the market, sometime after 2025.

Earlier this year, Mackenzie acknowledged it had “overinvested” in the project, but noted it remained a very attractive option for the company.

Some of its shareholders, however, have expressed their doubts about Jansen, questioning the logic of adding more supply to an already saturated fertilizer market.

The deposit can accommodate another three phases — at a cost of $4 billion each — that would lift annual capacity to more than 16 million tonnes per year, vastly improving the economics of the project.

BHP has long been eager to enter the potash market in Saskatchewan, diversifying its asset base, which is now concentrated around iron ore and copper, since disposing of its US oil assets.

In 2010, Canada blocked BHP’s $40 billion hostile takeover bid for Potash Corp. (now Nutrien after a merger with Agrium) arguing the company’s mines are strategic national assets.
    BHP to decide fate of Jansen potash mine in early 2021BHP believes demand for potash could double by the late 2040s, by which point it could be a $50 billion market. (Image courtesy of BHP.)
    9968 0

Mining.com Recommends
    St Barbara cuts production guidance at Gwalia gold mine; shares tumble
    The Gwalia underground gold mine will produce between 175,000 and 190,000 ounces in full year 2020, instead of an initially expected 200,000-210,00 ounces.
    Jackson Chen | October 17, 2019 | 9:18 pm
    Canada Cobalt pours silver bar from Castle project
    Canada Cobalt says it plans to pour a 1,000-oz. silver bar later this month.
    Jackson Chen | October 17, 2019 | 3:07 pm
    Golden Predator testing cyanide-free option at 3 Aces project
    This will be the first on site bulk test of the technology.
    Jackson Chen | October 17, 2019 | 3:02 pm
    Barkerville discovers new Lowhee zone at Cariboo project
    The Lowhee zone lies between the Cow Mountain and Bonanza Ledge deposits.
    Jackson Chen | October 17, 2019 | 3:01 pm
    Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
    More Australia News
    Sirius inks fertilizer supply deal with Qatar’s Muntajat amid Moors project worries
    Cecilia Jamasmie | October 11, 2019 | 6:06 am
    BHP says “social value” to be key aspect of its business planning
    Cecilia Jamasmie | October 8, 2019 | 10:58 am
    Rise of ethical investing keeps losing social license the top risk to miners
    Cecilia Jamasmie | October 2, 2019 | 9:13 am
    Western Potash executes binding offtake agreement for Milestone project
    Canadian Mining Journal Staff | September 26, 2019 | 2:42 pm

Terms of Use
    About Us

© 2019 Glacier Media Group, All Rights Reserved

Advertise
    Contact Us

Last edited by BaltasarG: 19/10/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DNK (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.