Do you see the point of my post, tou4u? Argue about...

1. 3,816 Posts.
    Do you see the point of my post, tou4u? Argue about anthropogenic climate change and you will be deluged by claims of greenie conspiracies and corrupt scientists profiting from telling porkies. There is great concern that these people should be profiting at public expense from such tales of doom and gloom.

So it surprises me that when this argument is logically extended to encompass the massive amount of corporate welfare - read crony capitalism - associated with CO2 geosequestration, ethanol, wind farms and other "green" solutions, the "climate change is bs" lobby on this forum is miraculously silenced. Similarly, mention the importance of climate change science in planning water resource management, so as to keep the cardboard and staple sh*tbox sideshow profiting at the expense of other Australians and the environment, and again, silence.

Isn't it funny how characters like Thurlow are so sure that Australia can keep finding more water to support population growth and maintain living standards in the absence of evidence that it can be done? Yet with climate change Thurlow suddenly becomes a strong proponent of "evidence before action". Thurlow even reminds me of Biggles with this comment on water supply:

"It is not a fact that Australia is experiencing a water shortage as a result of any global warming despite whatever views are published. They are just opinions and possible(sic) published for self-promotion reasons as much as anything.
    Australia has always had water shortages and we are now at a point where the current supply and distributioin(sic) system doesnt reliably support the many and varied uses that have been developed for the water. The shortage is more in the essentially free, or close to free, water that we have become accustomed to and now demand.
    Obvioulsy an appropriate technical solution coupled with some sensible planning is what is required here, rather than a spurious link to fossil fuels and global warming that appeals to and panics the air-heads into inappropriate and foolish action that is just as likely to lead to disaster as not."

What the above waffle means is that the predicted drying of Southern and Eastern Australia is unproven, and that even in the absense of any drying, all of the cheap water has been used. So in order to provision for a growing population, water will become much more expensive.

Left and right is a pointless classification. I prefer honest and dishonest.

Billy

SPA June 2004 newsletter available at

http://www.population.org.au/pressrm/newsletters.htm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.