RLC I was on the initial construction of the Rio Kwinana unit. A...

1. 5,011 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 129
    RLC
    I was on the initial construction of the Rio Kwinana unit. A single reactor vessel pilot. The technology was transferred to China where big smelters have mega numbers of units operating.
    I was involved for years on shutdowns where the unit was tested, run, and ultimately re-engineered to the current standards. It basically is a big contained vessel brought up to temperature with fuel gas and air injection, then coal dust blasted in through big water jacketed injectors from the sides to form a plasma ball in the centre into which iron ore fines are introduced through the injectors and reduced in the plasma to create a big molten floor of pig iron, which is periodically drawn down from below to create a continuous production scenario. Ideally it can run for long extended periods between maintenance shuts. Lots of accidents and miscalculations kept me employed there for a few years. Even had to repair a few large holes in the concrete floors which were literally melted through by major spills of molten iron. Other stories too numerous to mention. Great times.
    It used a lot of pulverised coal fines which have much more energy density than ordinary biochar, and a viable commercial sized facility would need correspondingly more. Why do you think China imports so much smelter coal? I'd be really interested to know where they propose to get the biomass to make the char from. Last time I drove through the state it had vast swathes of brown and red rocks, not a lot of spare carbonaceous by product, unless they're planning on mining the last of the southwest forests for woodchips, or planning to grow some sort of plantation source, or import.
    Think this is all a bit of pump fever. Would not be at all surprised to see an 'opportune' cap raise in the near future. And nearly 50% turnover today speaks volumes. Take care.
    Last edited by sikadeer: 09/02/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.