OK so I only shorted 1000 shares with 10% margin so I only had...

1. 5,627 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    OK so I only shorted 1000 shares with 10% margin so I only had to put up $1171 of my own money and FP lent me the rest. Margin is good as long as it goes the right way. If not then you still lose like any other trade. I kind of try not to think about the margin and think of it as a normal trade and how much am I willing to lose if it goes the wrong way. I didn't short it right at the open because it didn't have many to cover on the sell side so I waited until about 2 minutes after it opened and it dropped back under the open and there were more on the sell side so got it then. It did start to go the wrong way so I just had a mental stop on it and was going to give it until if it had of went back up to $11.91 then I would have just covered and took my $200 loss but luckily it turned back around and started dropping again. And at around 10:20 I covered it. Was initially thinking it would be nice it it could drop to $11.21 but looked at a lot of the recent daily ranges and it didn't seem to be dumping on mass after the announcements so just decided not to be greedy. Was a good decision in the end because it didn't drop much more than $11.45 ($11.41 was the low). So I suppose was a bit lucky too. Risky business but thought it was a reasonable chance it would work given how it was opening. Not sure if that helps or makes any sense? Maybe/Maybe notconfused.png

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5606/5606205-723e46fef04296a2a4cee8f6692a812a.jpg

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.