mate, I've been in your position quite a number of times,...

1. 321 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 480
    mate, I've been in your position quite a number of times, including most recently, and could totally relate to what you are saying. I'm neither an expert nor as experienced as many here, but here is my 2 cents based on what I learned and still learning:

while it's frustrating to lock your capital away for a period of time, you managed to get out without major scars. That's not as bad as you are thinking...I know you feel bad for lost opportunities during this period, but I've seen many stories here where it could totally go in the opposite direction and you end up in a huge loss. so, chin up that you managed to get your capital back...relatively quickly.

"But when I compare the $ value of stocks over the past few months there were sooooo many times when I could have sold for a nice profit but decided to hold."...this is hindsight playing with your mind. There is always gut feel and familiarity of the stock which tells you (for example, based on the strength on the news) that an upward movement would retrace soon, but I personally believe it's impossible to get it right always. Next time, when you sell to buy back lower, it could zoom up much much more and you might kick yourself that you held through the tough times (i.e. the most risky period) only to sell for a small profit with a view to buy lower. Plus, buying higher could always be difficult mind you, because we could be anchored to the previously lows. Again, this is my personal experience, and as I said I'm probably at the bottom end of the barrel of many experienced traders here. But if I were you, and if I believe the probability and the reward % of upswing are higher than the risk and downswing, I would hold through the retrace and wait. I apply this rule only to my conviction stocks that I know very very well, rather than to quick flips if that makes sense....a bit of judgement needed.

good on ya for building a strategy that works for you and I wish you all the very best. Enjoy the day out with your family and friends, and have a nice weekend.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.