I find the sunk cost fallacy (economics) and the escalation of...

1. 2,188 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 169
    I find the sunk cost fallacy (economics) and the escalation of commitment (sociology) quite interesting , we're certainly complex and incredibly stubborn creatures when it comes to money and matters of the heart. It's extremely hard to step away from anything we've sunk time, energy (physical and emotional) or money into and near impossible in situations where all of the above apply.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

Three years ago I unwittingly became an investor in two separate stocks (got caught up in $1 by Christmas type rah rah), drawing down almost 40k at one stage. I went from picking out Maseratis to vowing never to invest again. After a year of bitter resentment and blind faith I got proactive. It has taken 2 years of learning, a lot of smaller drawdowns and readjusting strategy but I've not only traded myself out of that loss, I've actually made some money. The irony of it all is that despite taking such a draw down, I still hold parcels of both original stocks - it's near impossible to shake the emotional commmitment, stop-losses and not reading too much rah rah help me keep it under control. It's scary when you read the same people, saying the same things for 3-4 years straight on one specific stock thread, you just know they're in a similar situation but unwilling to either recognise it, or take action.

TLDR: Don't sit on your losses, ruthlessly cull them before they own you.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.