Hi folks (and Dooley), Funny you should mention war movies...

1. 2,392 Posts.
    Hi folks (and Dooley),

Funny you should mention war movies @speckledjim1 ...
    I was with one of my clients today. He's 94 years old; has an OAM, CBE, a big shot in his field for decades.
    Now in his own world, mainly in the 1940s and 1950s. Today we were talking about his time in PNG during the war years. Conversations with people who have dementia are disjointed, but if you're patient, a kind of mosaic emerges. Fascinating stuff.
    I take this guy out twice a week. He's confined to a wheelchair, so we get a taxi and head off to a cafe.
    Some smart young things were sitting at a table opposite. They saw this old bloke in a wheelchair who was having troubles drinking his milkshake, eating his food, dressed rather plainly. They started giggling and carrying on.
    I was rather proud of myself. I knew that my client couldn't hear them, so I let it slide. I was tempted though. I get rather protective with my old farts.
    This bloke used to fly in the PNG mountains in the days when landing strips were just some cleared jungle and maintenance was largely DYI. He once had to refuel his plane while it was still in the air, so he tied up the joystick, got a can of fuel, walked out on the wing and topped up the tank - no worries.
    I doubt any smart young things today could even imagine a world like that.

An image to ponder next time an old fart smiles at you

Have a good weekend
    Last edited by Dark Doofus: 16/09/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.