Anson Resources has critical minerals development opportunity at...

1. 11,978 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1313
    Anson Resources has critical minerals development opportunity at Mary Springs

Anson Resources has identified the potential to develop both gallium and barium after a review of the historical mine plan.
    Special Report

2 min read

July 17, 2024 - 8:56AM

• Anson Resources finds gallium and barium in historical assays at the Mary Springs deposits within its Ajana project
    • Existing pit shell and mining plan to be used as the basis of the company’s mine design
    • Metallurgical testing underway to determine the most economic method to extract lead, zinc, silver and critical minerals

Special Report: Anson Resources has identified the potential to develop both gallium and barium after a review of the historical mine plan and database for lead extraction at the Mary Springs deposit within its Ajana project in WA’s Mid West region.

Gallium has seen increased visibility due to its recognition as a critical mineral that is vital for producing semiconductor chips, blue ray technology LEDs, mobile phones and nuclear engineering – which is also why it commands a premium price of US$869/kg as of July 10 2024.

Barium is used in production of capacitors and electronic components, oil well drilling fluids and as a contrast agent in medical imaging.

Both minerals had already been noted in historical assays across the Ajana project after Anson Resources (ASX:ASN) resampled high grade pulps stored at the laboratory from two previous drill programs.

Gallium – with grades measuring up to 34.4g/t – was also identified in all 26 historical holes at two additional prospect areas about 8km north of recent drilling at the Ethel Maude and Surprise prospects.

That the critical mineral was found throughout the entire downhole drill intervals and across the breadth of the prospects indicates that it could represent a significant economic addition to all of its prospects in the Ajana area.

A third gallium-rich location, the “Chequers” prospect 1km south of the Mary Springs prospect and 6km north of Surprise was also identified by reviewing historical drilling.

Possible pit shell and mine design based on the 2004 JORC resource interpretation which is comparable to 2012 JORC resources. Pic: Anson Resources

Critical mineral development opportunity

The interest in the Mary Springs deposit comes after a review of the mine plan and data base developed in 2009 identified gallium and barium assays that were not announced or included in the JORC resource.

ASN notes that the gallium, which returned assays of up to 36 parts per million, can be recovered while processing for lead.

In addition, metallurgical results show the presence of galena and sphalerite in the deposit would provide an opportunity for a multi-element development.

The company added that it is now updating the Mary Springs resource of 390,000t grading 6.5% lead, defined from just 47 drillholes, to include both gallium and barium.

This work has already confirmed the historical lead resource estimate, which includes a pit shell and mining plan that is being used by the company as a basis of its mine design.

Core and drilling samples will also be re-assayed for indium and germanium.

Mary Springs also has potential to grow as it is open in all directions and down-dip.

Further activity

ASN is in the process of conducting metallurgical test work at Ajana to determine the most economic method to extract lead, zinc and silver along with the critical minerals gallium, indium, germanium and barium.

Petrological studies of the ore and surrounding rock units will be conducted in parallel with this test work to determine the association of the sulphide mineralisation with the extensive gallium mineralisation as well as the concentration of the critical minerals with the lead and zinc mineralisation.

The company added that future exploration at Mary Springs will focus on strike extensions of high-grade mineralisation.
    Last edited by takizawa2: 17/07/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.