Day trading pre-market open May 31

1. 14,356 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6

Morning traders. Sorry this is a bit late. Took a tumble on a run this morning. I'm bleeding all over the keyboard, lol.

Thanks loungers, especially @Ravgnome.

Outlook for the day: Negative after Wall Street closes mixed amid concerns about opposition to a propose debt limit deal.

ASX futures: down 34 points or 0.47%

Overnight themes:

• US stocks finish mixed as investors weigh the prospects for a deal to raise the debt ceiling passing through Congress. Right-wing Republicans voice objections to parts of the proposed deal.
    • Congress is expected to vote on the bill as early as tonight.
    • "I would not be surprised if the first vote results in failure and they have to go back again. But I firmly believe a debt ceiling agreement will be approved before the June 5 drop dead date" - Sam Stovall, chief investment strategist at CFRA.
    • The Nasdaq is boosted by an on-going rally in Nvidia. The chip-maker hits an all-time high on hopes for demand for AI chips.
    • Only three US sectors advance: tech, real estate and consumer discretionary.
    • More than half the Dow's component companies decline. Healthcare providers are the biggest drag. Intel and Apple rise.

Key events today:

• April inflation data - 11.30 am AEST
    • Also quarterly construction work, monthly private-sector credit, China manufacturing/non-manufacturing PMIs - 11.30 am
    • US job openings - tonight

S&P 500
    : unchanged

Dow
    : down 51 points or 0.15%

Nasdaq: up 42 points or 0.32%

Dollar: down 0.16% to 65.18 US cents

Iron ore (Dalian): down 0.28% to US$102.36

Brent crude: US$3.53 or 4.59% to US$73.54

Gold: up US$14 or 0.7% to US$1,977.10

NYSE Arca Gold Bugs: down 1.08%

Copper (LME): down 0.25% to US$8,115

Nickel (LME): down 0.17% to US$21,000

Global X Lithium & Battery Tech ETF: down 0.63%

BHP: down 1.5% (US); down 1.66% (UK)

Rio Tinto: down 1.51% (US); down 1.74% (UK)

Last edited by highlandlad: 31/05/23

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.