daytrade diaries... december 31, page-18

1. noo
    1,465 Posts.

Good morning,

Thanks hll, I try to do my best for next week.

US Stocks ended a choppy session barely higher Wednesday, with the Dow eking out fresh 2009 highs as investors mulled a stronger dollar and opted to play it cautious at the end of a tumultuous year.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) added a few points, ending at the highest point since Oct. 1, 2008. The S&P 500 index (SPX) ended just above the unchanged line, closing just shy of 15-month highs hit two days ago.

Analyst said "I think the market seems to have ended the year on a slightly positive note, with many investors happy to lock in their profits and look ahead to the new year,"

Any stock market gains accrued next year are expected to be a lot milder, analysts say, as the government stimulus fades at the same time the slow-growing economy struggles to create jobs. Meanwhile, the consumer spending environment is expected to stay weak, the dollar could firm up and the Federal Reserve is expected to begin raising interest rates in the second half of 2010.

LONDON - European stocks fell on Wednesday in subdued trade, as investors took profits after hitting 2009 peaks on growing economic optimism, and Frankfurt closed early for the New Year holiday.

London's FTSE 100 index fell 39.75 points, or 0.73 per cent, to 5,397.86 points. Both London and Paris will close early on Thursday.

FRANKFURT - Germany's DAX 30 index of leading shares fell by 54.12 points, or 0.90 per cent to finish at 5,957.43 points on Frankfurt's final trading day of the year.

The DAX gained more than 23 per cent in 2009, boosted by the nation's emergence from a deep recession in the second quarter.

PARIS - The CAC 40 slid 24.48 points, or 0.62 per cent, to 3,935.50.

Oil prices edged above $US79 a barrel on Wednesday as America's crude stockpiles fell for the fourth week in a row.

Gasoline supplies also fell unexpectedly and futures neared a high for the year for January delivery, a contract that closes on Thursday.

Benchmark crude for February delivery added 41 cents to settle at $US79.28 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The Australian share market has received weak leads from overseas markets in overnight trading, with Wall Street indices, European markets and precious metals lower but oil and copper higher.

At 0657 AEDT on the Sydney Futures Exchange, the March share price index contract was 18 points higher at 4,846.

GOLD down $5.60 to US$1092.50 an ounce
    SILVER down 30.8c to US$ 16.802 an ounce
    COPPER up 3.15c at US$3.345 a pound

Today's Financial Calendar
    December 31 2009

Australia ASX closes 2.10pm AEDST
    Japan markets closed
    Australia RBA credit aggregates, Nov
    (PRG) - Ex div. 3.0c

And I am wishing you and your beloved ones a happy,prosperous and flourishing New Year 2010.

http://www.marketwatch.com/
    http://www.thebull.com.au/
    http://www.news.com.au/business/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.