Highlandlad u can see i spelt ur full name i have alot of...

1. 16,565 Posts.
    Highlandlad u can see i spelt ur full name i have alot of respect 4 u these posts on WK r pure info from the papers
    i certainly don't have the writing skills of HLL, i'll stick 2 trading hopefully make a few $$$$$$$$$, thanks.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/what-are-the-rules-since-iphone-cast-the-net-too-wide-20090925-g6es.html

What are the rules since iPhone cast the net too wide?

MARCUS PADLEY
    September 26, 2009 .

I AM on holiday in Mooloolaba, Queensland. Surrounded by beach twiglets with iPhones. I wonder whether my parents looked upon me at the age 14 with the same despair.

I don't know how much it cost to fly all these kids up here but I can't imagine for an instant that it has been worth the expense for the kids, their friends or their parents. Give a teenager an iPhone and they enter the ''matrix'' with all the other absent Facebook ''friends'' whose inane witterings have become an imperative substitute for the real world. They might as well be anywhere. We should have saved ourselves the money and left them at home.

The main development with the iPhone and the main problem is that for the first time it has made the internet portable. It is a tremendous development but from my perspective a sad one. The mobile phone was bad enough. It always amazed me when people called the chairman of a company off the podium at an AGM for a mobile call. There was something ridiculously more important about a mobile call.

Then the BlackBerry arrived. Major development. Now our friends and business colleagues would allow themselves to be pursued by email. At lunches, at meetings, at family time and even in the middle of the night. Pathetic. They got away with "BlackBerrying" because it had that hint of something important.

The BlackBerry was (past tense, these things are gone) a business tool and there was just a chance that whatever you were doing on them was businesslike. The saving grace was they weren't cool and our kids never really wanted them.

But now, through the iPhone, a fantastic bit of technology, the whole internet is pursuing us and it is not good news, at least from my point of view, because it has now turned our kids, as well as our friends, work colleagues and even our spouses, into morons.

I am as bad as anyone when it comes to the computer. If I get embedded at the weekend in my study I have been known to disappear and woe betide any kid or spouse trying to extract me mid-session. I had to learn not to do it, to leave it all at work, because there were more important relationships to be had if I had bothered to look up. But thanks to the iPhone people are getting embedded in computers in polite company and particularly at meal times and in social settings. It is very disappointing, turning up to gatherings to find people on the internet and woe betide you should you interrupt them with conversation.

It's bad enough for adults to replace ''face time'' with electronic time but try to get your kids off their iPhones and it starts with "just a minute" and it ends in a screaming phone grab. It's hard enough to get them out of the house on time already, let alone with them connected to waste-of-space-book where to say "I love you" is no more meaningful than a forgettable fantasy subject to deletion.

It is the new obsession and so addictive are these new "apps" that even Kevin Rudd has put his full weight behind facilitating it, behind the national broadband network, a network that will grease the end of child-parent relationships if not all relationships as we know them, or at least mess them up. If it keeps going like this we're going to need "quit lines" and "iPhone anonymous" self-help groups because it is an addiction, nothing less; these things are fantastic and compulsive.

This development is coming and coming fast and tempting as it is to stand in the way you cannot. You cannot deprive yourself and your family or begrudge your friends owning the iPhone. Instead we need to establish a social code for their use. My holiday would improve if the people around me would take on board one easily accepted and understood basic principle. It is this. Please take note: ''It is very rude to look at any electronic device in company unless you are talking into it.''

Problem solved.

What has that got to do with the sharemarket? The internet has become portable. It's going to change everything.

Marcus Padley is a stockbroker with Patersons Securities and the author of the book Stock Market Secrets, available at www.marcuspadley.com.au

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.