Hi TraderRR, great posts: if I may, just a rough & ready...

1. gga
    1,125 Posts.
    Hi TraderRR, great posts: if I may, just a rough & ready Position Sizing Calculator for those of your readers who don't want to work it out on the fly (NB. There's a minor flaw where the proposed trade size could exceed your overall trading capital. Just keep an eye out for that):

http://oak.ucc.nau.edu/del/stockcalcs/sizer.aspx

Let's say for example, if your:
    Trading Capital = $100,000
    Your Risk Amount (how much you are willing to lose if the trade goes bad) = $2,000 (ie. 2%, which is a standard level.)
    Your Buy Price = $0.047 (ie. RNO current price)
    Your Stop-Loss Level = $0.0329 (ie. 30% stop-loss)

Just use the calculator on the right of the linked page, labeled 'Dynamic Position Size';
    plug $100000 into the first box labeled 'Maximum Cost';
    plug $2000 into the box labeled 'Risk';
    plug $0.047 into the box labeled 'Buy/Sell Price';
    plug $0.0329 (or $0.033 to round up) into the box labeled 'Stop Price';
    choose the 'Long' option (we want the price to go up!) in the field labeled 'Position Type';
    press 'Go', and Bob's your uncle!
    In this case, the result will come up as "142857".

Thus, in this case, you're only allowed to buy (a maximum of) 142,857 units at a price of $0.047:
    142,857 x $0.047 = $6,714.28 -->
    You will have $6,714.28 in the market, risking/losing a little over $2,000 should the situation arise when you have to sell at $0.033.

Please note, the above example did not take into account brokerage. ie. If your two-way transaction costs are 2 x $19.95 (the standard Commsec charge) = $39.90, just add $39.90 into the 'Risk' box (ie. $2000 + $39.90).

And...bear in mind, a really adverse situation could happen, eg. a massive gapdown could occur ala ASH. In that case, no amount of Position Sizing practice could help. Deep Value guys would argue their research would've kept you out of that stock but that's an argument for another time...
    (http://hotcopper.com.au/threads/ear...2504049/page-84?post_id=15194092#.VVlyn5PDEwQ)

Hi Suzanne, been ages since I've read it. From what I can remember, it's a pretty good starter book for newbies (I don't think you'll need it!) covering having a trading plan, risk management (position sizing, stop loss levels, technical support and resistance) among others. There's also a chapter or two that covers the common technical patterns: wedge patterns, flags, cups, saucers, double/triple bottoms and tops, heads & shoulders etc. which dovetails into the other function of the book (as a part-brochure for his trading software, also cheekily called Pro Trader!).

I did like the myriad of charts for Australian stocks (a rarity in print) such as Davnet, Sausage Software which were before my time but oh my what a time! I think there was even discussion of Poseidon (the original). Laced with anecdotes from Frank's time at trading desks, it's a breezy read. Sorry, I wish I could dig it up for more info but it's buried deep within one of my unpacked procrastinated boxes. NB. the book is geared towards momentum/trend traders, with a bent towards Darvas boxes (he also advocates/advertises Key Reversals and OBV)
    EDIT: Hmm...come to think of it, I don't think he covered risk management (mentioned above).

Speaking of anecdotes, I remember when I attended his mini-seminar (I was on a Darvas fad back then):
    as he was showing me the Pro Trader software setting up the Darvas Boxes, I remarked that I would be happy with 20-30% profit per year, he scoffed loudly, "What!? You should be making 100-200% a year!".
    What can I say, I have low standards

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.