Hey @zero2a$mill :) Just finished colouring the wife's hair. Who...

1. 2,392 Posts.
    Hey @zero2a$mill

Just finished colouring the wife's hair. Who said that men can't multi-task? I can do many things, just one at a time

Yep, I go to client's houses, although that is changing now. We are now getting some "higher needs" people, so I'm visiting some nursing homes as well, mainly for social outings/chats. Also some higher needs people who are still at home - people who might not be able to get to the shower anymore etc. Sometimes we need two support people to give a bed bath etc.

A lot of clients use a service such as the one you mention. VitalCall is another one I know about. Freaked me out the first time I pressed the red alarm button. I was busy attending to the client who had delirium and a voice suddenly came out of nowhere. Turned out that when you press the button, the phone automatically switches to loudspeaker (there's a separate box which gets plugged into your landline). Very handy if the client can't reach the phone to answer (in case of a fall etc). You would also get a separate alarm which is tied into the same system. Can be worn around the neck or as a bracelet, with one big red button on it. Some clients wear it, most don't (pride).

Very few clients have pets. For reasons similar to what you mention: concern about what will happen if the human is incapacitated. I'd ask you to think on this: your pet is a very lively, alert and smart pooch. If something did happen to you, something which was out of the ordinary, do you think that Dooley would just sit there and wait to be fed, or maybe sense that something was wrong and raise one helluva racket until someone noticed? I'd go with the latter. If you had a cat (we do), then it'd be hopeless, lol. The damn thing would just curl up and go to sleep.

I know you have a history with government organizations (AEC, ATO, and I'm not even going to mention the medical profession!). Perhaps being "plugged into" the medical system would piss you off after a while? Not sure.

I'd like to offer a thought: instead of the organization coming to you (Red Cross, VitalCall etc), how about if you go to the organization instead?
    "What the hell?" I hear you say.
    Not sure if this is possible (state of your knees) but what about volunteer work? This might kill several birds at once:
    * would get you out of the house on a regular basis (with Dooley, possible?)
    * would put you in contact with people of a similar mindset (fellow volunteers)
    * would be good for your soul (you will gain more than the people you are helping)
    * would create a social network of people who can keep an eye on you (where's Zero today? I'll check if he's OK)

Just some thoughts, amigo

That black dog you were carrying around with you a while back is gone, thanks to Dooley. You might need to support your furry friend every now and again.

If I don't chat with you beforehand, have a fab Silly Season. May the crabs be humongous and plentiful!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.