Thanks Oscar and morning crew. Half-time round-up: A sell-off in...

1. 14,591 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks Oscar and morning crew.

Half-time round-up:

A sell-off in the big banks after a trading update from WBC helped push the ASX into the red for the week on a second day of declines.

At 1pm EST the ASX 200 was 55 points or 1% lower at 5488 for the session, nine points lower for the week. A 1.8% dive in the financials sector did much of the damage. Also weak were gold -2.3%, energy -1.4% and telecoms -0.9%. Trading positive were IT +1% and consumer discretionary +0.8%. The decline in the energy sector followed a third losing session for crude oil overnight.

“The biggest risk to the market at the moment is a huge drop in oil prices,” James Woods, strategist at Rivkin Securities, told Bloomberg. “We’ll see some near-term weakness in the coming weeks. Investors are likely to be buying on these dips as central bank policies remain supportive of equities.”

China's Shanghai Composite was barely changed at +0.09%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng similar at +0.03%. Trade on Japan's Nikkei was suspended for a public holiday. Dow futures were recently ahead ten points or 0.05%.

Crude oil futures declined another 30 cents or 0.72% this morning to US$41.41 a barrel. Gold futures were $2.80 or 0.2% softer at US$1,349.10 an ounce. The dollar was buying 77.2 US cents.

Can we all just agree to have a holiday and come back when the Olympics are over? I got excited yesterday when the market threw up a few opportunities, but it seems to have gone back to sleep this morning. If there were opportunities, I was looking at Rio at the time. Took a tentative dab at AMP, but can't pretend it has played out profitably as yet. Sellers in control. Bounce, damn you, ideally before my dental appointment.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.