Daytrading July 23 afternoon

1. 14,591 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks Mitta, Brit and morning regulars.

Half-time round-up:

Australian shares pared a second day of losses as Asian markets and US equity futures rallied.

At lunchtime the ASX 200 was 12 points or 0.2% lower at 5602 but on the improve after falling as low as 5587 in the first hour of trade. Falls in metals & mining -2%, materials -1.4%, energy -0.9% and consumer staples -0.4% were partly offset by rises in gold +2.6%, telecoms +0.6% and consumer discretionary +0.6%.

"Caution is a likely byword for trading today," CMC chief market strategist Michael McCarthy told Fairfax. "Copper and oil remain under significant pressure, reflecting worries about the outlook for industrial demand as well as the potential for strength in the USD."

Asian markets rebounded from yesterday's decline. China's Shanghai Composite was last up 0.52%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng 0.32% and Japan's Nikkei 0.39%. Dow futures were recently up 30 points or almost 0.2%.

Crude oil futures bounced 10 cents this morning to US$49.29 a barrel. Spot gold was $7.70 firmer at US$1,097.20 an ounce. The dollar was buying 73.81 US cents.

Trading: been a frustrating 24 hours for me on all levels. Got caught out by the LOM capital raising - first time I've let that happen in a couple of years. Took RIM at the fib level this morning and the blighter has not bounced. Also took AAX for no reward. And when 4pm comes around I've got to fix whatever part of the washing machine I broke while failing to fix the mysterious rattle last night and then work out what my Sphinx-like wife wants for her birthday when she says, "Don't bother about me - I don't want a fuss." There's a correct answer if I can only work it out. She's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Unfortunately, so is the washing machine.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.