Daytrading June 30 afternoon

1. 14,843 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks Oscar and morning crew.

Half-time round-up:

Shares look set to end the financial year sharply higher for the session but lower for the year as the healing after the Brexit vote shock continued.

At 1pm EST the ASX 200 was 92 points or 1.8% ahead at 5234, but more than 200 points below where it began this financial year at 5459. A second straight day of gains was spearheaded by the health sector +3.6%, energy +2.6% and industrials +2%.

A global rebound continued overnight, pushing the Dow to within 320 points of its pre-Brexit level and the UK's FTSE to a point higher before Britons voted to quit the European Union. This morning, China's Shanghai Composite edged up 0.03%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng 1.8% and Japan's Nikkei 0.81%. Dow futures were recently ahead by 13 points or 0.07%.

“Markets continued to trade overnight like another round of QE [quantitative easing] was announced, with real economic Brexit fears sidelined,” Sharon Zollner, senior economist ANZ Bank New Zealand, told Bloomberg. “Optimism is rising that this event won’t be the catalyst for global market volatility. Let’s hope the market is right, but there’s a lot of water yet to flow under the bridge.”

Crude oil futures retraced 45 cents or 0.9% this morning to US$49.43 a barrel. Gold futures were $8.30 or 0.63% softer at US$1,318.60 an ounce. The dollar was buying 74.52 US cents.

Anyone here been in the market long enough to remember Brexit? Yeah, that was a tough year... month... several minutes... I remember it like it was last week. The market sure moves on quickly these days. Trading: one of those sessions where every time I reached for a piece of pie I ended up holding the crust and not much else. Made $20 on a two-pip bounce in AKM. I'd need NOR to turn positive to cover the brokerage on another miserable part-fill. Might make something out of EDE.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.